Sunday, November 18, 2007

What's love got to do, got to do, got to do with it?

Today in church the teacher was speaking on marriage. This sacred thing that has been torn down in our society. Sex holds no sacredness in most relationships. People see no reason in working through things and divorce has become this transaction of paperwork, children, and finances.

Meanwhile people and relationships are being torn apart.

It is fascinating to me how the Lord works. For me things are usually shown to me in groups of three. Weird I know, but consistantly if I am shown twice something there will always be a third "sign" to follow. God knows my heart and knows that I need to be given direction so clearly that he does that for me everytime. And I can't help but feel loved.

Today things ended with the guy I have been dating for about a month now. I have never had things end the way they did today. I left crying...not for myself but for him. My heart hurt so much for him. I see in him such great qualities to offer but his views on love and relationships hold him back. I am okay with the fact that he was not drawn to me. I am okay with the fact that I was not beautiful or great in his eyes. But I am not ok with the fact that he didn't even fight..for me or himself.

If I have seen one thing in my parents 20 something years of being married, it is that it takes work. Work like you would not believe. Come on they put up with 6 crazy kids and adult foster care...it takes work. Selflessness. But that work is love. It is not a burden it is a decision made daily. A selfless decision to love a person for who they are.

When it comes to dating I think it is definately a process of figuring out if a person is compatible or not. It is not based simply on emotion or romantic feelings. Those things will struggle to exist at points and if that is what we hold onto...we end up losing everytime. When I think of the way that I am loved by God...the ultimate form of love...is that His love for me is unconditional. It is not feelings based or merit based it is unconditional. And this sacred covenant between to people is saying "my desire is to love you unconditionally, because God loved me first."

It takes work. It is a choice. It is something I hope to experience in a marriage someday. But right now I want to emulate that with the incredible people around me. With those that are naturally easy to love and those that I have to grit my teeth and love.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves."-- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

This verse requires work...i would be astounded the day I met a person that didn't have to work to make these things happen. I fall short at least.

I am so blessed. God is so faithful and loving even when I have nothing to give but a broken heart.

0 comments: