Sunday, November 4, 2007

goin' deep

I feel overly emotional today. I wish I had some sort of excuse like "it's that time of month" or "Dashboard just came out with a new album that I am listening to non-stop"...but I don't (thank the Lord). I think it is a combination of fear and wanting more out of life.

Fear.

Isaiah 41:10, “Fear not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.”

I am so afraid of the unknown. Afraid that I will wind up hurt again. Afraid that I will make the same mistakes I made before. Afraid that I will not be considered beautiful or that the little things about me will not be found endearing but rather obnoxious or strange. I love living in a care-free manner but sometimes I find these fears lurking. Keeping me from leeping into the unknown.

I must trust. Daily.

I want more from this life.
I want to be a light in people's lives. So often I am not and I want to be intentional. I have this great passion to work with teenage girls. To share my heart with them. To remind them of their beauty. To be a constant in their lives when so many things and people are not constant. I am hoping to get plugged in somewhere I can just really invest in others and stop focusing on myself. It is interesting because I think that the pursuit of this will lessen my fear. Because my eyes won't be so fixated on myself and my own future but I will be able to celebrate the here and now's and the futures of others.

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat. " - Mother Teresa

1 comments:

Joshua Weichhand said...

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
- Nelson Mandela

You put that in a note once and I think it's still so true. Live that passion, shine a light.